THE CHURCH OF ST. ROKO
The church of st. Rok, who was the protector from the plague, was built in 1623, and expanded in 1788. It’s bell tower was built in 1879, it can be seen from afar, and gives the authentic look to Sutivan. The church altar was made by Pavao Bartalelle in 1787. The wooden statue of St. Rok and the paintings are works of an unknown artist: The Annunciation, the Ressurection and the Last supper. The church also has several paintings inspired by the Testament and the scale models of 19th century ships, some of which were made by sutivan’s sailors, and some of which have been commisioned to be built by people who’ve survived storms at sea.
THE MARIJANOVIC HOUSE
The tower shaped citadel, built on the very beach at the port by an immigrant from Poljice, Janko Marijanovic-Drazoevic, also known as count Janko, in 17th century. This Janko’s castle is rather small, pictoresque building with slant ground area that leaves the impression of a fortress, with a balcony facing the sea and a sun clock on the south side.
The tower of the old mill – windmill of Ilic family from the beginning of 19th century is the best preserved one among 125 grain mills that were on the island around 1800. Even though it doesn’t have sails any more, since it stopped grinding grain in 1903, it still looks pictoresque, standing by the waterfront at the east part of the town. These mills were powered by the abundance of winds all year round: winds bura, jugo and levant during the winter, maestral, western wind and burin during the summer, and others.
THE PARISH CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
The silouette of Sutivan, when watched from the sea, is dominated by the large and beautiful parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was built in the period between 1576-1590, in the late renaissance style, and it was extended afterwards. It was extended at the end of 18the century, but still keeping the architectural significance of baroque. During that time, Petar Pavle Bertopelle, from Vrboska, island of Hvar, built the slim bell tower with the roof like ” lukovica ” and the exquisite tabernacle of the main altar. Also worth seeing is the painting of the Lady of Ruzarij, the work of italian manirist school. The 17th century bell tower was recently renovated,
In and around the church, the dead were burried, up until the cemetary wasn’t built outside of the town. When the church was paved, some of the tumb stones were moved outside, and some of them can be seen now. They are mostly from 17the century, with the Ivanovic family one originating in 1594.
The Sutivan cemetery was situated in 1829 to a woody hill to the west of the town, and renovated in 1913. The beauty of the old cemetery is in its simplicity, unlike the cluttered, distasteful modern cemeteries. The tombs are covered with lone tombstones. A passageway to the catacombs is through the chapel of The church brotherhood PS Sacrament, where lie 126 underground graves.
THE ILIC HOUSE COMPLEX
The first fortified palace in Sutivan was built by Jakov Nadali – Bozicevic in 1505, renaissance style. The palace lost much of it’s original beauty due to the later changes and the building-on at the front. The latin renaissance inscription at the front of the building was an eulogy to the Venetian Republic, because Jakov Nadali fought under the banner of St. Marco and built this house with money gained in these wars. Nadali’s, or Natalis, and later Ilic’s palace has spacious park, which is preserved to date, and was renovated. It’s south side was turned into a public park.
SUMMER HOUSE OF JEROLIM KAVANJIN, 17-19th CENTURY
Mother of Split’s poet Jerolim Kavanjin (1643-1714) belonged to the Sutivan family Nadali – Bozicevic, so he spent a considerable part of his life in Sutivan. He built a house, or a summer house by the port (1690-1705) in the baroque style, with equally baroque park and supporting houses. He commissioned the humanist inscription OSTIVM NON HOSTIVM over the south court yard’s gate. It means that the gates are open only to friends.
THE DEFINIS HOUSE COMPLEX, 18th CENTURY
In the once rich Biedermeier interior of the Definis house was situated a rich medicinal library from 18th century and early 19th century, as well as the miniature portraits of the family members of Definis house, the work of a Trieste painter, a Frenchmen by birth, Vincent Poiret (1813-1868).
The Municipal House from 1898 can be distinguished from other Sutivan’s public buildings. Beautiful building in the historc style of white Brac’s stone. Today, it houses the official chambers of the Municipality of Sutivan on the first floor, with Post Office and The Tourist Bureau situated on the ground floor.
THE CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST IN THE PLACE OF EARLY CHRISTIAN CHURCH FROM 6TH -THE FIRST PART OF 17 TH CENTURY
In the east part of Sutivan, around the today’s small church of St, John, the base of the big basilica with trefoil sanctuary and entrance hall, nartex has been excavated. There was situated on the the ten early christian Brac’s basilicas from 6th century. That is one of only three churches of this type excavated in Dalmatia. Several fragments of the altar mess and pillars were found, and are being kept in this small church. It was said, but never proven, that in the Middle Ages there was developed a benedict manastery, like others on Brac. The people have always called the surrounding ruins, mojstir (manastery). It is certain that the Sutivan’s St. John with the estate was used by Split’s church of St. John the Baptist. Splits prior Petar donated in 1097 to the church of St. John the Baptist (de Fonte) his estates which spread all around the Sutivan’s church, as far as the bird’s chirping could be heard.
Inside the base of the old basilica, today is situated the small church of St. John with nobleman’s inscription in latin, that says that Split’s canon and chancellor Jerolim Natalis built this church in 1655.